By Harold Bearden
Saturday, January 16, 2010 | 11:53 AM
Donald Ward and his son Kevin were working in a garage behind the Ward home in the Meadowlark subdivision off 14th Avenue Saturday morning. Without warning, a valve blew off an acetylene tank in their shop. They first attempted to throw sand on the rapidly leaking tank and quickly realized they needed to get out of the building.
There was an explosion followed by a fire in the building which contained two pickups valued at $30,000 each. The Haleyville Fire Department responded to a 9-1-1 call at 10:07 with two pumpers and the ladder truck. Firemen quickly extinguished the blaze, but the damage had been done. No one was injured.