State of the City
By Sam Poe
Monday, July 28, 2014 | 11:07 PM
Rotary President Ron Horton and Mayor Sunseri discuss plans for the Haleyville Sportsplex.
Mayor Ken Sunseri spoke to the Haleyville Rotary Club last Thursday, giving a State of the City update. Here are some key points of Mayor Sunseri's speech.
Posted in News
- The City of Haleyville operates on an annual budget of $6.1 million
- In addition to the annual budget, many revitalization projects are completed with grant money, with small percentages to no city match funding. This year alone, $6.5 million (with $1.4 million city match) were received to aid the City of Haleyville. The following grants were among those approved over the past year.
- $1.5 million from ALDOT with no city match for drainage problems on State Highway 13 North near the intersection of Dime Road
- $139,000 for the hire of an additional police officer
- $65,000 for fire equipment
- A huge project currently, is the building of the Haleyville Sportsplex. It will be built in phases, with the first phase being the completion of four baseball/softball fields and 300 parking spaces. In the following phases, a major (championship) field and an amphitheater will be added.
- Mayor Ken Sunseri also revealed the initial drawing of Haleyville City Hall that will be built upon completion of the sale of the current City Hall to CVS Pharmacy. (A full story on this will be available soon!)