By Harold Bearden
Thursday, January 30, 2014 | 6:01 PM
The Haleyville Board of Education met Tuesday, January 28 for their regular monthly meeting. The meeting was presided over by Board President, Beth McAlpine with all members present. Superintendent Dr. Alan Miller presented certificates to Kim Whitman Sartin as Teacher of the Year selected by her peers in the Haleyville Schools and to Mindy Seymour who has been selected as the State Teacher of the Year by the VFW. Certificates were also presented to all the BOE members as recognition of their work for the schools.
For the business conducted at the meeting
The following items were approved by the board at the recommendation of Dr. Alan Miller:
- Expenditures for December, 2013 in the amount of $1,269,112.56.
- Changed Head Middle School Track Coach from Kelley Hubbard to Jamie White.
- Declared the following items as surplus equipment to be sold:
1. Magnum Lift/Rack with bad cylinder
2. Printronix PSA3 Model P7205 printer
3. AP Design Jet 750C plus Printer/Plotter
- Use of Parent Center and EL Tutor classrooms to Beverly Masters and Annie Murphy to provide
after school tutoring to HES students Monday Through Thursday 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Charge members of the National Junior Honor Society of HMS a yearly fee of $5.
- Over-The-Counter Medications Policy
- School Board Operations Policy
- DECA students and Neina Middleton to attend State DECA competition
- Use of HES cafeteria to Winston/Marion ARC for annual Easter Pageant April 5.
- HHS Softball, baseball, golf, track and tennis schedules.
- Handbooks for HHS majorettes, band and Cheerleaders.
- Membership dues of $15 for Forensics Club CSI portion of Skills USA student origination
- Senn Williams as Assistant Athletic Director HMS
- Tiffany Donnan as HMS cheerleader coach
- Wendy Rushing as Head Varsity and JV Cheer Coach.
- DeVaughn Jacob Terrell as volunteer track coach for 2014 track season.
- Field trip for band and Reggie Tolbert to All-State Band competition in Huntsville in April.
- Revised athletic supplements
- Use of HES lunchroom by Athletic Booster Club for "Daddy/Daughter" dance February 22.
- Use of HES lunchroom by Kid Sports Gymnastics for "Mini-Olympics" May 17.
- Use of HHS track for Baby Blu 5-k fun run April 19.
- 15 fund raising activities by various organizations.
The HHS senior play will be at the HES cafetorium Feb 11-12 for students and Saturday Feb 15 for the public.
The Alabama Symphony Orchestra will perform a free concert on February 27.
The next meeting of the Haleyville Board of Education will be Tuesday, February 25.