Haleyville City Council
By Sam Poe
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 | 12:11 AM
The Haleyville City Council met Monday evening for the regularly scheduled council meeting. All members were present, and the following items were approved.
Posted in News
- Council minutes from 11/03/2014
- October general operational bills in the amount of $1,855,464.48- $549,025.11 is for the regular October bills. $1,306,439.37 was deposited into the general fund due to the sell of Haleyville City Hall.
- Rescindment of motion to advertise for bookkeeper/magistrate- The council is opting to not hire this position at this time.
- Bids for construction on the new Haleyville City Hall-Please see full story below for full details of the bids.
- Purchase of message board sign for use by the City of Haleyville in emergency situations and to advertise upcoming city events- The sign will be mounted on a trailer, is solar powered and battery operated, and has a charger on the trailer to keep the sign charged while it is not in use. The sign will have three lines of up to eight characters per line, and the cost is $12,200. It will be purchased out of the alcohol funds.
- Acceptance of low bid for two new police cars- Two bids were received on 2015 Ford Interceptor Sedans. Lynn Layton placed a bid for $23,947 per car (total for two cars being $47,894.00). John Carpenter Ford placed a bid of $23,563 per car (total for two cars being $47,126.92). There will be additional charges to add necessary equipment to the cars.
- Hire of Anthony Nix as HPD officer effective 11/18/2014- The starting salary will be $11.55 per hour increasing to $12.60 per hour after 9 months of probation and a positive review, $13.23 per hour after 1 year, $13.60 per hour after 2 years, $13.97 per hour after 3 years, and $14.34 per hour after 4 years.
- 2015 court dates
- Mayor Sunseri announced the City of Haleyville will be applying for a $10,000 grant from ADECA for two cameras for police cars. If approved, there will not be any matching funds required for the city.
- The Haleyville Christmas parade will be Friday, December 5, 2014 at 6:00 p.m. Lineup will be at the Haleyville Fire Station at 5:00 p.m. If the Haleyville Lions are still in the AHSAA Football Playoffs, the parade will be moved to Thursday, December 4, 2014 at 6:00 p.m. Anyone who has questions about the parade can contact Natalie Boykin at (205)486-4611. Also, anyone who plans to throw candy from a float must have walkers beside that float to ensure the safety of parade attendees.
- Haleyville Chamber of Commerce Representative Fran Bishop spoke to the council about the 2015 9-1-1 Festival plans. She stated most of the entertainment is already in place, but it has not been announced yet. Because of the construction of the new Haleyville City Hall, all festival activities will be located from Main Street south. There will not be a BBQ Competition this year due to a lack of location. They hope to have that event back next year.