Tuesday, September 9, 2014 | 7:09 AM
The Haleyville City Council voted last week to approve a sign ordinance to be enforced inside the Haleyville CIty Limits. Here is a copy of the ordinance for your review.
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF HALEYVILLE,
ALABAMA, AS FOLLOWS:
WHEREAS, the City Council of the City of Haleyville, Alabama, finds it is desirable to eliminate the visual effect caused by the placement of signs throughout the City; and,
WHEREAS, the placement of signage throughout the City needs to be uniform, safe, and attractive.
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT ORDAINED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF HALEYVILLE, ALABAMA, AS FOLLOWS:
- It shall be unlawful for any person to affix any sign, poster or other printed or written matter of any kind whatsoever to any public utility pole, tower, wire, anchor, guy wire, cable, transformer, meter, device or structure of any kind belonging to any public utility corporation holding a franchise from the city and situated within the city or the police jurisdiction thereof or to any traffic-control device or sign or route marker or any post, cable or wire supporting the same, situated within the city or the police jurisdiction thereof, and erected by any federal, state, or municipal authority.
- The posting of signs on utility poles, on street or traffic signs, on City property, in the public right-of-way, in road medians, on any structures in the public right-of-way, attached to trees, attached to rocks, or attached to other natural features is hereby prohibited except as provided for in Subsection (c) and (e);
- Signs advertising yard, garage, or estate sales are allowed only on the property in which the sale is taking place unless special permit is obtained in advance; such sign may be placed in the yard of the sale not more than five (5) days before the sale and must be removed upon completion of the sale;
- All Real Estate signs must be located on the property that is for sale, lease or rent, whether by a company or by owner; one real estate sign, not exceeding six (6) square feet, is permitted to face each street adjacent to the property that is for sale, lease, or rent; model home and open house signs shall only be displayed when the property is available for public viewing and subject to limitations in Subsection (e);
- Advertising for yard, garage, estate or Real Estate open house, model home or special event signs may only be placed off property by permit obtained from the City. The Permit will authorize the person to place up to 3 signs at strategic intersections to route potential customers to the event. The signs must be no larger than 18” x 24” printed with the name, address, and phone number of the responsible party placing the sign. The sign(s) must be placed a sufficient distance from any road or intersection to insure that the sign does not block the view of travelers and secured to the ground by wire or wooden stakes and may not extend above the ground more than 3 feet. The signs must be removed by the responsible party within 24 hours of the conclusion of the event advertised. No sign may violate the prohibitions in Subparagraph (a) and (b) and any violation shall subject the person listed on the sign and the permit to penalties as found in Subparagraph (i).
- “No Trespassing,” “No Parking,” “Beware of Dog” signs, and the like, are permitted, subject to the limitations placed herein by Subsection (a);
- Subsection (a) shall not be construed as limiting the authority of the state or the city, their agents, servants, or employees from affixing to utility poles, traffic-control signs or as prohibiting the owners of utility poles from affixing to them identification numbers or other matter related to or incidental to the operation of any public utility which holds a franchise from the city.
- This section shall not be construed as prohibiting the erection of banners across any public street of the city, but before any person shall be authorized to do so, he shall first secure a permit therefor from the building official and shall deposit with the city the sum of fifty dollars ($50.00) to cover the cost of removal of any such banner upon his failure to do so, which deposit shall be returned upon removal of the banner by the person who put it up.
- Any person found guilty of violating any of the terms and provisions of this ordinance shall have committed an offence, punishable by a fine of up to $50; each sign may constitute a separate offense.
This ordinance shall become effective immediately upon its adoption and publication as required by law.
Any ordinance heretofore adopted which is in conflict with this ordinance is hereby repealed to the extent of such conflict.
If any part, section, or subsection of this ordinance shall be held unconstitutional or invalid for any reason, such holding shall not be construed to invalidate or impair the remainder of this ordinance, which shall continue in full force and effect notwithstanding such holding. Posted in News