By Sam Poe
Monday, October 28, 2013 | 2:10 PM
As the temperatures drop, more and more people will turn on their heating units each day. This often causes accidental and detrimental fires in family homes. Here are a few tips from the Haleyville Fire Department to help keep your family safe.
-Never use extension cords on space heaters. Also, if using a space heater, it is best to choose the type that automatically turns off if the heater is turned over.
-While using space heaters, always keep at least a 3 ft. circle around the heater that is free of objects. Some heaters require a larger area, so always check the manufacturer's handbook for specifications on your equipment. If using electric wall heaters, nothing should be within 5 ft. of the heat source.
-Change the batteries in your smoke detectors twice per year. It might be easiest to remember if you change the batteries when the time changes in the spring and the fall. Also, every home should have carbon monoxide detectors as well.
-If you have gas heat, make sure it is working properly. If you are unsure, don't take chances. Contact your gas provider for an inspection.
-If you have wood heat, make sure your chimney is clean and clear of obstructions.
-Never use kerosene heaters indoors.
-Make sure you have the proper fire extinguishers in your home and that they are tested regularly.
-Never leave your dryer running when you leave the home.