Shop online for almost anything at Rowe Building Supply here: Rowe Building Supply
The Haleyville City Council will meet at 5:30 Monday at the Haleyville City Hall. An update of the hospital closing is expected. The Haleyville Board of Education will meet Tuesday at 7 p.m. The Haleyville Schools will have half days Tuesdays and Wednesday and dismiss for Christmas and New Year on Wednesday.
The home of Rodney and Patricia Godsey at 1680 County Line Church Road was completely destroyed by fire Friday evening December 15. The fire reportedly started in a chimney and quickly spread to the remainder of the house. Craft, Haleyville and Bear Creek Fire Departments fought the fire, but the house and contents were a total loss. Patricia is the lunchroom manager at the Haleyville Middle School. The schools are having a fund-raising pajama day Monday at HES/HHS and HMS on Wednesday. The two Godsey children Taner and Anna Laine are both graduates of HHS. An account has been set up to help the Godsey family. You can find it here: https://www.gofundme.com/patricia-and-rodney-godsey Please help as much as you can.
The retirement party for two Haleyville city employees filled city hall Friday afternoon with dozens of friends, family, current, and past councilmen, and Congressman Robert Aderholt who had once served as City Attorney when he was a practicing attorney. Debra Hood, City Clerk, and Sue Southern, City Magistrate were both honored for their service to the city of over 25 years each with praises, plaques and their tenures entered into the U.S. Congressional Record as read by Congressman Aderholt. More photos below.
On December 13, 2017, at approximately 1:08 a.m., officers with the Marion County Sheriff’s Office and the Hamilton Police Department responded to a residence located on Reese Road, Hamilton, Alabama, after Marion County Dispatch received a request from an individual to perform a welfare check on an individual possibly in distress at the residence. At some point, after the officers arrived at the residence a confrontation with an armed subject occurred causing one of the officers to discharge his firearm. The armed subject received a fatal injury and was pronounced dead at the scene by the Marion County Coroner. The State Bureau of Investigation responded to the residence and their Agents are currently investigating the incident. As the incident is currently under investigation no other information is available at this time.
Doug Jones won the special election for U.S. Senate Tuesday by a very small margin with one of the largest turnouts for any state election. According to the Associated Press, Moore had 82% of the votes in Winston County, 79% in Marion, and 69% in Franklin County. It was Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile, Huntsville and south central Alabama which made Jones the winner.
Jones will fill out the remaining two years of the U.S. Senate seat left vacant by Jeff Sessions when he was appointed as U.S. Attorney General. This means in two years Jones will need to run again for the full 6-year term for the Senate. As has always been the case in Alabama politics, much can happen in two years or even two months or two days.
In today’s special election, your vote does count!
A memorial service for Jerry Jackson will be this Saturday at the First United Methodist Church. Visitation with family and friends will be 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. with the service at 1 p.m.
The Haleyville Rotary Club thank the individuals and businesses who donated to the Toys for Kids project this year. Just a reminder the toys will be distributed to the families who signed up this afternoon from 3 to 5 at the Paradise 92.7 studios at 807 Highway 13 North. With donations lower than in the past the Rotary Club can still use your monetary donation to help purchase the new toys. If you have not contributed, any donation, no matter how small, will be greatly appreciated. You can drop off your donation of cash or checks made out to the Haleyville Rotary Club at the State Farm Insurance office on 20th Street behind CVS.
The Haleyville Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire at 2401 9th Avenue, next door to the Church of Christ at 3:41 a.m. Friday morning, December 8. The fire was contained to the attic and was quickly extinguished by the firemen, saving the house due to the quick response in the 30-degree weather. Firemen pulled down part of the ceiling to get to the fire and make sure it was completely extinguished. The firemen were at the scene until 6 a.m.